Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Disaster?

Hello..... Something is bugging me to an enormous extent. Please bear with me.
According to Healthline (on Google), 29.1 million Americans suffer from diabetes. One in four people over  65 suffer from it. Those are huge numbers. For this excercise I will dwell on Type 2 diabetics.
Google reports that there are 1.13 traffic deaths per one hundred million miles driven in the U.S.
Okay, it seems obvious that (comparatively speaking) a certain (unknown to me) number of folks are also dying from prescription mistakes. Let me zero in on one that may be a real horror.
Let's say that of 29.1 million diabetics, about one third take insulin. 10 Million. My guess. I'm just starting this project so my numbers are surely general. Moving forward, I will guess that each insulin user injects twice daily. That would be 20 million injections daily. (Not counting pump users.)
Let's say that IF about 1.13 persons were to die from a tragic mistake per 100 million injections, that could result in about 1 death every 5 days.
The true numbers surely widely differ from these numbers. However, I am convinced that each death is preventable. Tragically, I am afraid that the true numbers might be much, much higher.
Those with the greatest health issues are the most susceptible.
I will be blogging (blobbing) more in the near future. I will announce each new blob with a short entry on Facebook.
Hold 2 fingers 1 half inch apart. That represents what I have written. Stretch your arms out. All the way. That's what I hope to be writing until I have presented this whole concept. Wish me luck. I've never done anything like this.

No comments: